Rochester, a town steeped in history and vibrancy. Here's a glimpse into its rich past:
Founded by the Romans, Rochester grew into a strategic medieval city, boasting a stunning cathedral and the imposing Rochester Castle. Over the centuries, it played a crucial role in various historical events, including the Norman Conquest and the Peasants' Revolt.
Now, let's explore the modern delights Rochester has to offer:
• Rochester Castle: Marvel at the well-preserved Norman fortress with its iconic keep, offering panoramic views of the Medway.
• Rochester Cathedral: Immerse yourself in the beauty of this ancient cathedral, a masterpiece of Gothic architecture.
• Charles Dickens' Swiss Chalet: Visit the chalet where Dickens wrote some of his later works, nestled in the gardens of Eastgate House.
• Guildhall Museum: Dive into local history with exhibits showcasing Rochester's heritage, from Dickensian times to wartime.
• Rochester High Street: Wander through a charming mix of independent shops, cafes, and galleries.
• Royal Engineers Museum: Explore the military history of the Royal Engineers through fascinating exhibits and artifacts.
• Rochester Esplanade: Enjoy a leisurely stroll along the river, taking in the scenic views and historic ambiance.
• Dickens Festival: If visiting in June, join the annual Dickens Festival, where the streets come alive with characters from Dickens' novels.
• Eastgate House: Step back in time at this Elizabethan mansion with connections to Dickens, featuring period rooms and a charming garden.
Rochester, where the past seamlessly blends with present-day pleasures!
- Key Features
- View Map Location
- Self check-in
- Fully equipped kitchen
- Shower over bath
- Free Wi-Fi
- Complimentary toiletries
- Iron & ironing board
- On street parking